For a while now a bunch of friends and I have been playing co-operative Doom using custom WADS. These WADS are utterly incredible, vastly improving the original doom with mind-blowing map design, new monsters, new weapons, new sounds & new puzzles. The amount of things that can be done with the Doom engine is amazing, and people are constantly pushing the limits.
So why co-op? We started off playing deathmatch but found that playing co-op was more fun. Working together in Survival Mode to beat a map forces a lot of cooperation and planning, and there’s a lot more at stake when you’re on your last life!
Now finding good co-op maps is difficult. There’s thousands to choose from and you don’t want to waste your time on the boring ones. Some of them aren’t designed for cooperative play. A lot of the time I would go through the Cacowards, pick out a few and try them out, but even then it’s a bit of a guess into what is good. Some of them are just too hard, some are too easy… it’s a difficult balancing act.
The following is a list of WADS that we have played so that we can keep track of what we’ve done, and what we’d like to play next.
Awesome co-op / survival wads that are strongly recommended
- Eviternity - massive, incredible Mega WAD. Freaking awesome.
- Valiant - Skillsaw is a genius
- Sunlust - Fun, amazing, very ‘dark and moody’ though.
- Toke’s Coop Build - Old school WAD with some great ideas. Super creative.
- Lost Civilisation - Utterly fantastic WAD
- Ancient Aliens - Amazing WAD. Awesome new monsters, storyline and quirky. So much fun.